Saturday, May 25, 2013

Quartet


I read about this movie on a magazine and truthfully, I was interested about it instantly.  Simply just because its about four people, although it's four old people, who used to be a great musicians (opera singers) and now they have to live on a home for retired musicians.  Just read the word musicians my interest is pique right away hahaha...

I'm not a musicians, I can't even sing acapella, but I do love music.  Who doesn't?

So, Quartet is about Reg (Tom Courtenay), Wilf (Billy Connolly), Cissy (Pauline Collins), and their other friends, all of them are retired musicians, live on Beecham House.  They're going to have a gala on behalf of Verdi's birthday.  Everyone was expected to contribute something to the gala, either by singing or playing something. Preparation for the gala was having a bit of difficulty, since most of the prominent singers either died or choose not to participate. Until Jean (Maggie Smith) arrived.  Jean was (or still is) a diva.  The fact that she has to retire and live on a retired home, even its home for retired musicians, is really a humiliation for her.  And then, there's Reg.  Reg used to be married to Jean.  He didn't like that Jean was at the same home with him.  But, not only Reg who has connection with Jean.  Reg, Wilf, Cissy, and Jean used to be on Rigoletto together, and they were considered as THE Rigoletto of the post-war era. So, now having the quartet at the same time, at the same home, the director (Michael Gambon) really wish that the four of them willing to sing together.  Everybody agree, except Jean.

Even though it's a story about old people, but since it's about old musicians, I think I'll make an exception hahaha.  What I love about the movie is that it shows how music is still be a large part of their daily lives.  They teach kids, children about music, teach them piano or violin.  The play violins, piano, flute, almost all the time.  I know, there are other things than music on their mind, like getting old, forgetfulness, being sick, etc.  But I think it just show that they (old people) still have their lives, they still live.

And the music.  Can't forget the music.  Although most of it was operas, some of them are really familiar.

In the end, while the credit title was rolling, the pictures of the residents of Beecham House who is really a musicians was showed, including the picture when they were young.

And the ending of the movie...is really typical for English drama movie, although I remember that the director was Dustin Hoffman, who is an American...so...I think you should see it hahaha. The end is a happy end for me, but I can't help that I wish for oh I don't know...another five or ten more minutes....hahaha.
 

4 comments:

Ditogendut said...

Did they get to sing together at the end? And if they did, what song?

Kalo ngikutin drama-sense gue, gue ngarepin mereka ambil lagu yang endingnya di nada tinggi trus pas nahan nada tinggi itu salah satu ada yang ambruk kena serangan jantung n mati. Ahh... Langsung habis dah tuh tissue sekotak. Xixixi...

Unknown said...

Pls deh To...ini udah oma-oma dan opa-opa...plus Maggie Smith. I don't think Maggie Smith can sing at her age hahaha...

In the end, they did sing together, I don't know what they'll sing...I think it's from Rigoletto.

Ditogendut said...

Nyanyi-nya ditunjukin apa cuman disorot pas mereka mau naik panggung trus langsung credit roll?

Btw, gw masi mute Somebody That I Used To Know. Ud gue loop dari kemaren malem. Hehehe...

Unknown said...

Cuma di sorot pas mereka manggung, udah ditepukin, standing ovation, trus...fade out, shoot the Beecham House, cue song in....and...out. Credit roll....

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository
Please e-mail me directly if you have any question about things that I wrote in this blog at celotehze@yahoo.com