Sunday, May 26, 2013

Seven Wonders - The Colossus Rises - Peter Lerangis


I guess when your Blackberry died on you, good thing can come out of it.  Like reading a book that you've bought long time a go.

Yup.  My Blackberry died yesterday.  Or presumed be dead.  It came back on again tonight.  Yeah...my bad.  I guess when your unconscious mind is so set on iPhone5, the moment your Blackberry went off, you can't think of anything else other than "I need to change my mobile phone".  I just think of other option about why my Blackberry was dead, was when I took a shower in the afternoon.  And now, my Blackberry is back on.  And still no iPhone5 for me hahaha...

As I said before, since my Blackberry was dead yesterday, I decided to read this book.  I don't know why I chose to read this one, I haven't even finish reading The Great Gatsby.  Maybe after this.

Seven Wonder - The Colossus Rises is book one of the series.  I think the series called Seven Wonder, and the title of book one is The Colossus Rises.  A little bit like Percy Jackson series.

Bought this book because my friend, Sherley, want to know if this book is any good.  When I went to Kinokuniya, months ago, I read the first chapter and like it.  So I decided to buy. After 3 chapters, I stopped.  Not because I didn't like the story, but because I didn't have the time.  Until yesterday.

 Just one boy . . .
Jack McKinley is an ordinary kid with an extraordinary problem. 
In six months, Jack is going to die.

Just one mission . . .
After Jack collapses in the middle of a busy street, he's whisked off to a strange hospital in a strange place. There are armed guards and weird kids and fantastic creatures, not to mention no parents, no phones, and no possibility of escape. The place is run by an odd professor named Bhegad, who tells Jack that what's killing him is a genetic trait inherited from the prince of a long-lost civilization. It's destroying Jack by making him too strong too fast. He'll need to stay strong, though—because it's up to him to save the world.

Just one problem . . .
That long-lost civilization sank when seven magic Loculi were stolen and hidden around the world. Now Jack and his friends must find the Loculi before they fall into the wrong hands. If they don't, they'll never be cured, that lost world will rise, oceans will be displaced, and life as we know it will pretty much end.

Seven wonders
No one ever asked Jack if he wanted to be a hero. He just has to be one. One kid. One mission. One big problem.
 

Meet Jack McKinley. The story was told from his point of view. Later, Jack will meet Cass, who loves to talk backward (emosewa), Aly, the only girl who can hacked any computer since 9, and Marco, 13 years with a body like 16 and really really really god at any sport.

At first, what Jack really wants was to get back home (obviously), or at least get to call his dad, but alas...he can't.  After that, he found that even Cass, Aly and Marco doesn't even like being in the compound.  So, they try to run away. Apparently, that wasn't a good choice.  They get caught and have to back to the compound.  

It's not that Prof. Bhegad was a bad guy, they just didn't believe it.  I think it's right for them for questioning Prof. Bhegad, because the four of them can't even call on their parents or anyone, it likes they were kidnapped. 

Prof. Bhegad told them that they were descendants of the ruler of Atlantis.  The genetic trait they have called G7W, and mostly of them who has this trait, this marker on their DNA, can't live past age 14.  And for them to keep alive, is having a medical treatment, provided by Prof. Bhegad, and find elements of Atlantis power.  

Realized that they have no choice, the begin their training.  Marco trained martial arts, Aly trained with computer, and Cass...Cass is a human GPS, he can memorize any map, any route.  While Jack...well...he doesn't know what he can do.  He just know that he can do some tinkering, but along the way I think we all know what he can do.

Even though they're a little reluctant to trust Prof. Beghad, they begin to learn more about the Atlantis, about the elements of Atlantis power, and why the Atlantis was gone. And so, their adventure begin.
 
Reading the book, made me feel like I was playing "Mystery Case Files" without the hidden objects thing, and straight to the puzzle part.  The four of them need to solve quite a lot puzzle, or even create their own puzzle.  

If you like Percy Jackson series, I think you'll like this one too.  Full of adventure, along with some historical place and information. I really enjoy myself reading this book.

I can't help myself for comparing this story to Percy Jackson.  Maybe because Rick Riordan tells that this book is good, I don't know. Compared to PJ, the back story of Seven Wonders I think a little bit complicated.  I mean, until the end of the book I still don't know if Prof. Beghad really a good guy or the bad guy.  And the history about Jack, Cass, Aly, and Marco as the descendants of Atlantis King and Queen is also not quite explainable.  And the end of book one, is a cliffhanger.  Not like PJ series, where each book end with a finished quest, SW is not.  Maybe because PJ, like HP (why do I have to think back to HP??), each book is happened on certain set of times; summer camp, school term.

But despite it all, I still enjoying myself reading this book. 

4 comments:

Ditogendut said...

I demand for spoilers!!!

Paling nggak kasi tau mereka kemana aja lah. Gak usah sampe tokoh utamanya naksir siapa, siapa yang jadi penjahat, atau plot-twist yang penting2.

Satu lagi, biasanya elu komen kalo penulisnya deskriptif soal setting/latar, tapi kali ini nggak, jadi gue asumsikan bahwa penulisnya tidak deskriptif ya?

Unknown said...

Cukup deskriptif. Gue gak keberatan dengan deskriptif nya...jadi gue gak kasih komen hehehe...

Kemana aja? Cuma ke Greece, ke Rhodes kalo gue gak salah inget.

Selebihnya, mereka berkutat di compound. Karena memang mereka masih ada urusan di compound itu.

Ditogendut said...

Omong-omong ini blog cuman gue tinggal 20 menit-an kok udah berubah desain tampilan. Gubrak...

Unknown said...

hahaha...gue emang lagi pingin ganti template...ini aja mau gue ganti lagi nanti hahaha...itu foto cewek di kiri atas gak bisa diganti...padahal gue lumayan suka sama ini template

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository
Please e-mail me directly if you have any question about things that I wrote in this blog at celotehze@yahoo.com